Monday, April 4, 2011

Testing...testing...1..2..3...

I just did the math on the number of vials of blood I've had drawn over the last year.

For each miscarriage, it was generally at least 3 vials. One to test for my hormone level, another to make sure it was dropping and one more to make sure it had dropped low enough/went back to zero. For the first one, it was 6. The second, 3. For this last loss, it was 5 vials for the HCG testing alone.

For my first round of fertility testing, they took 13 small vials.

My second round took 7 large and 3 small. 10.

For my day 3 testing it was 1 more.

And I'm going to go ahead and make a guess that there were about 3 or 4 other blood draws for testing that I can't even remember right off the top of my head.

40. That brings my total to 40. 40 vials of blood. About a pint. The same amount as a donation. I feel woozy thinking about it. What's more crazy than the number of vials is realizing how many visits to LabCorp it took to rack it all up. I'm well known there by now. Old friends, the phlebotomists and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment