Monday, May 16, 2011

My best friend's a doctor

D and I drove up to Connecticut for my friend's dental school graduation this past weekend. We were there less than 24 hours but it was nice to get away just the two of us and be able to support J as she finalized one of the greatest accomplishments of her life.

She's been through a hell of a year and without going in to too much detail, her getting her D.M.D. seemed, at times, nothing short of a miracle (obviously coupled with her insane work ethic, innate brilliance and overall awesomeness).

As her class of newly appointed Physicians and Dentists left the auditorium, grins plastered across their faces, it signified more than just the completion of medical and dental school for J. It was the beginning of her new life. Something she'd worked a hell of a lot harder for than most of the other graduates.

She scooped up her gorgeous 2 year old daughter, and with her head held high, marched out to her future.

She doesn't know this, but J is one of the most inspirational people in my life. It's nearly impossible for me to feel sorry for myself when I'm around her. She's hilarious and loving and soft spoken and strong all at once. She has fought back, quite literally, against adversity that no woman should have to face, and she's won. She's been the kind of parent to her daughter that we should all be so lucky to be. She's completed a program of study that over a thousand applicant are turned away from, year after year. There have been times she probably didn't even know how she was going to take her next breath, but somehow, she did.

I wouldn't normally encourage using your friend's tough times to make yourself feel better, and that's not exactly what I'm doing, but it definitely makes me realize my life doesn't end when things get hard. I see her accomplishments as motivation to keep going -- in whatever it is you are doing, whatever you are fighting for. You can do it. There's always a way. It might not be the way you'd envisioned or the easy way that seems to come for so many others, but it's there and it's yours to take. If you fight hard enough.

So basically, thank you J, for being the kind of friend that amazes me and loves me at the same time.

Congratulations bahahfahf! I'm so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment