Monday, May 16, 2011

The vitamins

I said I'd dedicate another post wholly to the vitamin supplements I've started taking. I need to start this off by saying, I am not a doctor (by any stretch of the imagination), my research has all been done online (I'm not looking to get this plan published or signed off on by a medical team), and I would advise you discuss this with your physician or RE prior to starting the supplements (I didn't, but I'm crazy like that).

I picked apart some retail "fertility enhancing" products and these are the components that seem to be come up over and over:

Coenzyme Q10 (100mg): Antioxidant. Protects against free radicals.
Maca Root (500mg): Works on the endocrine system and helps stabilize hormone levels, promote egg health and help lower FSH levels. I've seen this one referred to as "fertility superfood" on more than one occassion.
L-arginine (500mg): Helps in the metabolism of proteins and sugars. Promotes circulatory and cardiovascular health. Speeds healing time in bones and muscles. Has been shown to increase ovarian response and promote the secretion of cervical fluid.

I've also added the following to my vitamin regimen based on the benefits I've read about in regards to IVF and general reproductive health:
Royal Jelly (1,000mg): Bees feed it to the queen to stimulate ovarian response. If you didn't already think I was crazy, you do now. I'm ok with that.
Pomegranate (250mg 3 times a day): To help build uterine lining to optimize implantation when the time comes. I only take this after ovulation and I stop as soon as my period arrives.
Grapeseed Extract (60mg): Another antioxidant.
Spirulina (500mg): Superfood algae - much like wheatgrass.

I've continued taking my prenatal vitamin as well as an additional 200mg of Folic Acid a day.

Just this week D and I started growing our own wheatgrass that we'll incorporate into smoothies. Spirulina tastes bad enough and that's just a pill. No way am I doing a shot of wheatgrass, straight up, on top of that.

I don't think there is any way for me to know what the reproductive benefits might actually be, but I feel better so we'll go with it for now. Plus, I obviously spent a small fortune on what now takes up an entire shelf in my medicine cabinet, so I'm kind of committed at this point.

My friend M suggested I get one of those Days of the Week pill dispensers. She thinks I'm 85. Which I pretty much am.

1 comment:

  1. if its good enough for the Queen B, its a great idea for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete