Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sweet tooth be gone

I spent most of last week in Chicago with some girlfriends. It was so good to see them and even though the weather wasn't the best, we ate a lot of fun food and drank some a ton of wine.

My stomach was not grateful for the indulgence.

It's kind of amazing how you don't even realize that you've broken a habit until faced with the very item your habit was based upon.

Cake.

We baked a chocolate cake and frosted it with vanilla buttercream, you know, just because. Totally normal.

Old Lauren would have absolutely had no less than a piece of cake (or two) a day. Easy peasy. Sweets were always my weakness. New Lauren somehow managed to have one piece of cake (OK... and a couple rounds of ice cream) and then pretty much forget it was there. Even though it was probably the best cake ever, I didn't even go back for a second piece in all the 4 days it was sitting there.

I guess the only real point of this post is to say I'm really proud of myself. Even though I haven't lost more weight and I'm almost the same size I was when I started this diet change, I feel so much better. I love that I can treat myself to some fries or ice cream and I stop after one serving or less because I don't need it or crave it anymore. Never in my life did I think I'd be thankful for an upset stomach until I realized it was my body totally pissed off at the amount of crap I was eating. It was a loud and clear reminder.

I don't judge people who can do that and still feel good -- more power to you! I wish I could. I just know myself and I honestly couldn't be trusted around cookies at one point in my life. Kind of scary. This is a huge change for me and I'm happy to know that even when I "throw my diet aside," some good habits still linger.

And just for clarity sake - I am NOT some sort of health nut. I will eat a chocolate on chocolate doughnut ::z snaps:: like no other. I love burgers and chips and ice cream. But I've come a long way and what used to be staples in my life are now the occasional treat enjoyed with good friends and I am more than OK with that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading your post eating Oreos. Oy. Good for you, I wish my sweet tooth would die!!

    ReplyDelete